Thursday, February 16, 2006

I just haven't earned it yet, baby...

A bit of a deflating day, Wednesday. I spent the morning fixing to finalise the details of a forthcoming four-day trip to Lesotho, to investigate the country's appalling Aids suffering (more than one-third of the country's population is HIV-positive, including 49 per cent of the women), speak to Government officials, aid workers, Aids-ravaged families and eight-year-old heads of households - and also explore the intriguing-sounding phenomenon of 'herd boys', kids sent into the mountains from the age of five upwards to live, fend for themselves and herd cattle well into their teens...
Only to arrive back in the office and find my boss, having enthusiastically approved the project not long back, now abruptly veto-ing it. Pah... And, furthermore, bah...
Meaning the only mild pleasure of my day was spotting Morrissey strolling down Bond Street this afternoon, tucked under a grey flat cap, looking even greyer in the face himself, and thoroughly weary with this world of woes...

As Jasper Carrott once so aptly put it: you lose some, you draw some...

7 comments:

Dr. Deborah Serani said...

It is disappointing to read that your boss said yes but is now saying no.

Your work is very, very meaningful, and I am betting you've earned many good things from your chosen field. Some measurable and others immeasurable.

Clare said...

Did you boss give a reason for not allowing the project to go ahead?

How cool that you saw Morrissey though. Now there's a man that never smiles. The only celeb I have ever bumped into in London is Avid Merrion aka Leigh Francis.

prolix said...

I once met Top Loader, that's as good as it gets for me on the celeb-meeting front. Bah!

Mike said...

That's a real shame that your trip was cancelled. Perhaps your boss thinks commuters prefer to digest light hearted fluff in the morning rather than reading something that might make them feel uncomfortable.

Christian Radnedge said...

Sorry about your trip. I've never seen a celebrity in London. I did have a funny encounter in HMV once though. I was wearing my Barnet scarf and I was walking around a man came up to me and said 'WAHEY! Barnet! yeah!' then he walked off......I guess you had to be there. Anyway, my blog is getting underway if you want to check it out: http://spaces.msn.com/christianrad/

Aidan said...

Cash setbacks, wanting bodies in the office, some other mumbled stuff... Ah well.
Will try to redeem and see through somehow some of the story ideas, albeit very long-distance from authentic source...
Cheers all, and for the celeb-spotting stories...
Not that I'd boast of bumping into Toploader myself, but each to their own...!
Welcome, Christy, to the - ahem - blogosphere, will keep a keen eye on your site - but in the meantime, as Mr Burns (almost) said: get back to work, student!

prolix said...

I should stress that I didn't plan on, or enjoy meeting Top Loader.

Ahem.