Tuesday, March 28, 2006

"Here's one I bid on earlier..."

Why all the fuss about Blue Peter badges being up for sale on the interbobble?

Anyone who feels so inclined to rid themselves of / fritter hard-earned money on claiming such sad mementoes marking the dullest of all (anti-) children's TV should be left entirely alone, merely to think long and hard about just what they've done.
After all, the only worthwhile thing Blue Peter ever spawned was sweet Sophie Ellis-Bextor... (though she wasn't, in fact, the unborn baby which made Janet Ellis such a scandalous siren of her era...)

No, I'm more disturbed by the fact such tat is apparently available one a penny (or, indeed, one a hundred quid upwards), but can I get my grasping hands on an original Blankety Blank chequebook and pen? Or a Crackerjack pencil? Or a Bendy Bully? Or an authentic 3-2-1 Dusty Bin, instead of an opportunistic replica eggcup or moneybox produced to satisfy only the cheapest, most undiscerning of nostalgia-geeks...

I did once receive a Jim'll Fix It medallion for Christmas, though it was in fact merely a novelty slab of soap. Genuine articles are apparently still available, though I'd like to imagine the exorbitant £110 price-tag would have even Saville himself choking indignantly on his cigar...
I suppose this Blue Peter-style solution might have to do...

I knew I should have nabbed Mallett's Mallet when I had the chance - during my 15 minutes of fame on the Wide Awake Club many, many moons ago, as part of a small primary school troupe demonstrating the dubious sounds and virtues of recorders and ocarinas made out of cardboard...

Still, I did manage to get the man himself's autograph - including the 'T' in Timmy represented by a over-sized drawing of a cartoon mallet.
Really, it's obvious when you think about it...

3 comments:

overnighteditor said...

You were on Mallet's Mallet? Now THAT'S celebrity!

I enjoyed finding out that there are five types of Blue Peter Badge. Especially the silver one, which is essentially the "Blue Peter Badge and Bar"

Aidan said...

Sadly not. I was on the Saturday show, Wide Awake Club, rather than the Mallett's Mallet-hosting holiday show, Wacaday.
Bah.
Or, should I say: blaaaah...

Samantha said...

Thanks to Wacadays my parents have an embarassing nickname for me, to be used in all occasions. You try being called Waca in front of your bf's parents! The shame!