Tuesday, April 11, 2006

"Just this old guitar, and an empty bottle of booze..."

Yesterday, frustratingly shortly before I had to set off for work, I took delivery of my new electro-acoustic guitar - a sturdy and sound bargain-buy Brunswick BTK60 looking like this:


... but it was no good so I've today arranged for a return and refund, and instead splashed out a little more (with thanks to Alan Mahon) on a lovely Ovation Applause looking like this:



... which, for future plugged-in performances will now have to replace my electronically-irreparable yet still supremely-lovely Tanglewood Odyssey looking like this:

... with which I get on better than my ambitious, hopeless attempts - as a bassist in a teenage band called Plectrum Heaven - to play a Rickenbacker copy looking like this:


... though when I win the Lottery, my first purchase shall be a real thing, Rickenbacker 12-string looking like this:




















... since when I play guitar, I like to imagine I'm sounding like this:















or even this:



















... though in actual fact not fantasy, I'm sadly sounding much more like this:

8 comments:

Lyndon said...

'Twas a quality piece of equipment that rickenbacker bass-copy. After getting it from you, I used it in at least a few bands ('Canto' being the only one that ever got round to having a name), Noel had a go and Christian, too, I believe. Though I used a fantastic 5-string monster-bass for my debut album [like all the best stuff not available in stores].

How does the new 'un play? I've often found wooden-backed electro-acoustics sound nicer when plugged in than their plastic-backed brothers. Tho it may just be all in my head - in a wood=nature=good vs plastic=manufactured=bad style.

Toxic said...

It does make a change to see someone say their dream is a Ricky instead of the usual mindless Strat, Paul and over priced PRS.

Though you can keep the acoustic they are evil creations.

Lyndon said...

My dream guitar was the Kurt Cobain-designed Fender Jagstang (so-named since Kurt - in all his artistic genius - came up with the shape by cutting and pasting pictures of, yup, a fender JAGuar and muSTANG - you see what they did there?).

To be honest, I was rather disappointed with it overall, tho it still does a decent job as a rhythmn guitar. Worst of all was that my "sonic blue" Jagstang tunring up pale turquoise. Yeuck!

Mail order buyer beware...

And the Fender Stratocaster is the *worst* guitar in the world. Such a weedy piece of nothing.

Hayley said...

It could be worse....you could be playing one of those blue peter styled guitars...toilet roll, empty kleenex box and a couple of rubber bands...or was I the only kid who got excited over a used toilet roll and an empty bottle of fairy liquid?!

Aidan said...

Amen to that mail order warning, bruv - it was an impulsive, slapdash purchase for which I now chastise myself. Hence the slightly-amended selection of photos and observations above.
But those nice folks at The Sound Garden in Barnet proved as helpful and reliable as ever, especially as an electro-acoustic which actually does the electro bit was a bit of an urgent requirement for Thursday night...
Bowl-backed, this one, but for electro-acoustics I think that often does indeed play better, slightly-less-attractive though it may seem...
Acoustics 'evil'? Pah...
All together now: "She'll be coming round the mountain when she comes..."
Ah, and don't mock the DIY guitars - after all, skiffle begat Lonnie Donegan who begat the Beatles who begat, oh, pretty much everyone...!

a.c.t said...

I remember the joy of purchasing my first second hand Epiphone - it took me ages to find as I play left handed (all down to the fact that when I was a nipper, I'd watch TOTP with a toy guitar and copying the mirror image, I learnt to play handed).

Toxic said...

After you've snapped a few sides trying to bend the wood in a nice shape then been just finishing the binding with some rare rosewood and it decides to come loose and splinter you find out how evil acoustics are.

Give me a nice easy bolt on slab electric anyday.

Aidan said...

Ah, right. Well, there you've soared far beyond the ceiling of my technical know-how (or know-little).
I've pretty much given up on manufacturing things myself since the, frankly, very disappointing early trials of my prototype time machine...