Thursday, July 13, 2006

"Goodness gracious..."

Laziness can sometimes, somehow, be the best policy... eventually.
A few months back, in a slough of anxious despair over my lack of progress in my trying-to-finally-be-an-adult attempt to (half-) buy my first property, I momentarily pondered going back to one of the only options on the slowly-moving list: a creepy cubbyhole across the road from the Red Lion and a meagre few millimetres upstairs from Chicken Cottage in Barnet High Street.

Such obvious poverty of prospects actually almost threw me instead into the welcoming, yet still dubious, embrace of a new development down the road - and across the North Circular - in Colindale, an admittedly-smart set of new apartments yet with the built-in disincentive of being in, well, Colindale.

Still, beggars can't be choosers, and it was still North London, within Barnet borough borders indeed, and I was tempted enough to ask about, and promise to attend, the crucial open day. Which, sadly, fell on a Saturday. Of a Spurs home match, but that rather proved beside the point since I could get along there bright and breezy and early that same Saturday morning.

Except I, obviously, didn't - a few drinks the night before making for a few extra hours in bed the next morning (and early afternoon, even, I dimly recall...)

So, Colindale went as casually wasted as myself, and so for a few more months I had to wait and wonder whether I'd frittered away one of my most likely sites. But, no, I should be wending Woodside Park way any day now.

And the smart and swanky Colindale setting...? Oh dear:

As that sage Homer once said: "Alcohol - the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems..."

5 comments:

Adam said...

I'm not trying to be sarcastic or offensive, but your soon-to-be-home looks to have a small fire extruding from it. I know house prices have rocketed, but this can't be the solution, surely?

Aidan said...

Good job I'm not and never really was moving there after all, eh...?

Woodside Park's on the High Barnet branch, Colindale on the Edgware line...

* (asterisk) said...

The words "lucky" and "escape" spring to mind. Thanks heavens for alcohol.

* (asterisk) said...

Blessed ignorance, AKR. Feel free to check this out. This is why that sentence has been searched for. You really didn't know?

a.c.t said...

They used Wood to build them!? They must have been cheap. Next time look out for houses made from brick! I bet a hangover never felt so good.