Tuesday, July 18, 2006

"Little darlin', the smile's returning to their faces..."

You only enter this world the once, so might as well milk it...

The newest member of our humble clan finally emerged blinking into the light this evening, after 38, count'em, 38 hours of nerve-jangling and no-doubt eye-watering labour for my sister-in-law Vicky.

But eventually, she became a mother, my brother Noel a father, my parents grandparents - and myself an enraptured uncle to young master Harrison David (after my mum's maiden name and her brother, rather than Beatle George but we'll happily take that one too, 'here comes the son' and all...)

Unfortunately just as I was about to head out of the door and towards UCL Hospital to clap eyes on him for the first time, we were told all visitors were being kicked out for the evening, leaving new folks and new-born to hopefully enjoy a well-earned night's rest.

Well, that seems fair enough - I'll just have to endure what will doubtless seem a too-long day at work tomorrow first.

Hello there, Harry - the fun starts here...!




7 comments:

Clarajean said...

Oh congratulations!!! He looks so sweet! And sleepy. What uncle-like things are you planning to teach him when he gets older? What words of wisdom will you impart to him?

a.c.t said...

He's lovely, congrats uncle AKR. I'm surprised he's not wearing a Tottenham shirt though.

prolix said...

Congratulations! and what a smashing shirt for your first day on earth!

Aidan said...

Cheers muchly, all - have not long returned from my first glimpse, which made a huge progression from tentatively propping him up in deadly fear of dropping him - all the way to merely gazing silently, not wanting to quite wander away even when ushered...

Little chance of putting a Spurs shirt on him. His dad is an avid (glory-hunting) Liverpool supporter so I'm sure the mini-Scouse kits are already in transit. Maybe Harry will revolt against being forced towards one football team, though - in which case, I'll play a stealthy waiting game, ready to politely point him at the right time towards his proper, local side...

Bought him a couple of babygrows, and a Peter Rabbit toy. Marks and Spencer seem really into their equal opportunities - a two-for-the-price-of-one set offered a babygrow branded with the words "Number one striker", and the other labelled the less-obvious "Top goalkeeper".

Got him the pair, since it wouldn't be right, so soon, to put any pressure on him to decide in exactly which position... he'll play for England...

I think, judging by babies' inherent messiness, these changes of clothes will be more immediately useful to him than any "words of wisdom" I'd really struggle to muster...!

Adam said...

Aww, all so cute. Much congratulations to you! My friend Hannah is pregnant and only 2 and a half weeks away now! Seeing those pictures has surfaced my excitement once again.

hangthedj said...

"Con-grat-u-lations", as Cliff once said and all that. He is very cute.

If anyone is ever stupid enough to get me up the duff, I hope I look as good as your sister in law looks after I squeeze it out!

overnighteditor said...

Congratulations to uncle AKR, and to your burgeoning family!

[Separately, and inconsequential as events like this make it... I admire your front [page!] this week.]

OE